"Dr Joseph made me feel like I was his only patient. He asked me what my concerns were and how he felt he could address them to make me happy. He took the time to explain the products available, what he felt would work for my concerns and how the procedure works. He talked me through the process always making sure I was comfortable."
Eyelash Treatment Newport Beach
Eyelashes are a vital component in the overall appearance of one’s eyes and face. Our lashes can thin over time for various reasons. Makeup can only do so much, especially when the lashes are severely affected, thinned, or even fall out.
As an ophthalmologist and cosmetic surgeon, Dr. Joseph understands the importance of our lashes to the appearance of our eyes.
There are two main components to eyelash care, stimulation and maintenance.
Latisse is a prescription treatment for hypotrichosis (inadequate or not enough lashes) to grow eyelashes longer, fuller, darker. Originally developed as a medication for the eye itself, Latisse is very safe for this area and acts by extending the growth phase of the lashes. Latisse can be an excellent option for someone who wishes to augment their lashes.
Alphaeon Beauty Eyelash Serum, is a lightweight lash serum, fortified with peptides to help stimulate hair growth, plus biotin to encourage growth and prevent lashes from becoming dry and losing volume. Pumpkin seed extract, rich in fatty acids and essential minerals, helps to nourish, while sodium hyaluronate, a form of hyaluronic acid, helps to condition and moisturize.
The health and appearance of our lashes can be affected by many things. The most common reason for poor eyelash health is an inflammation of the eyelids called blepharitis. This inflammation is exceedingly common and is present in a large percentage of patients seen by Dr. Joseph. It is also poorly controlled in many of these patients which causes progressive thinning and loss of lashes.
What causes blepharitis?
Despite being very common in general, each case of blepharitis is unique in its cause and characteristics. Potential causes include:
- Bacterial sensitivity or overgrowth
- Age or hormone related changes to meibomian gland secretions
- Follicular mites such as Demodex.
- Seborrheic dermatitis
- Allergic or hypersensitivty mediated eyelid inflammation
Successful treatment of blepharitis is dependent on successful identification of the cause or causes that are contributing to the problem. Dr. Joseph, as an oculoplastic and eyelid specialist focuses his practice on the eyelids. It is this focus that allows for successful diagnosis and treatment of your blepharitis.
What eyelash focused treatment options are available for blepharitis?
- Avenova daily lid and lash hygiene – Avenova, a new dimension in lid and lash hygiene, is specifically designed for patients with blepharitis, MGD, and chronic dry eye. Avenova functions by clearing debris and microorganisms from eyelids and eyelashes, as well as reducing inflammation.
- BlephEx – This new device approaches the debris (called a biofilm) that collects on the eyelid edge in patients with blepharitis in a very novel way. A precise microsponge debrider is used to clean the lashes and eyelid edge of this biofilm. This biofilm, if left untreated leads to a cycle of inflammation, meibomian gland dysfunction, poor oil production, tear film instability, all of which can affect lash health.
- Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) – This treatment is FDA approved for rosacea. Now used in a new way, it is proving successful in treating the inflammatory component of blepharitis. Using high intensity light, blood vessels which are dilated and contribute to inflammation are narrowed. This decreases the inflammatory signals to the lids and glands allowing them to function normally. An added benefit is that the IPL has an antibacterial effect, decreasing the amount of bacteria living on the eyelid causing reactive inflammation. IPL can even decrease the amount of demodex mites on the lid edge, which can cause significant eyelid inflammation or blepharitis.
If you would like to learn more about Eyelash Treatment, Alphaeon Eyelash Serum and Latisse, a consultation with Dr. Joseph in his Newport Beach office is in excellent place to start. He will sit down with you and discuss, at length, your areas of concern and the best ways to achieve your ideal result.