MID FACELIFT NEWPORT BEACH
ORANGE COUNTY’S BEST EYELID SURGERY CENTER
First, at the top of the cheek, closest to the eyelid, the loss of fat exposes the bone underneath the skin, giving the impression of a hollow, heavy lower eyelid. For many people, as they develop puffiness of the lower eyelid at the same time, this combination accentuates this negative affect.
As the cheek moves downward, a heaviness forms at the bottom edge in the form of deep lines around the mouth and nose. These are called nasolabial folds.
The changes that occur as we age in the cheek and lower eyelids are very unique from person-to-person. There are number of factors that determine if you are a candidate for a mid facelift.
If you notice:
- A flat central cheek that used to me more full
- A heavy lower cheek causing a fold next to the nose and lips – called a nasolabial fold
- Hollowing or shadowing below the lower eyelids
You may be a candidate for a mid facelift.
A mid facelift can be performed in a number of ways. The goal is to access and elevate the main fat pad of the cheek. Traditionally this is done in one of three ways
- Using a camera through small incisions in the hairline. This is called an endoscopic mid facelift.
- Using stitches or other materials placed through a needle-sized puncture in the skin. This is called a minimally invasive or percutaneous approach.
- Through a hidden incision on the inside of the lower eyelid. This is a called a direct or eyelid approach to mid facelifting.
While each technique has its usefulness, Dr. Joseph uses his expertise in eyelid surgery to often use an eyelid approach without the need for additional incisions.
Well there’s no way to truly elevate the cheek outside of a surgical approach, there are many options for rejuvenating the appearance of the midface cheek without surgery.
Options for non-surgical midface rejuvenation include
- Filler treatments such as Juvederm, Restylane Lyft, or Voluma
- Permanent fat grafting
- Skin rejuvenation through laser, radio frequency, or ultrasound treatments.
Many of these treatments can be performed in the office with little to no down time.
Surgeons from different specialties may offer this procedure to their patients. As an oculofacial plastic surgeon specializing in eyelid surgery, Dr. Joseph focuses his practice on this area and this type of surgery. This enables Dr. Joseph to tailor the surgery to your specific needs and goals. Dr. Joseph is excited to bring this level of specialized care to Newport Beach.
The average surgery usually requires between 1.5 to 2 hours. However, this time will vary depending on the specific goals that you and Dr. Joseph set forth. Every surgery is unique and to achieve the absolute best result, no surgery is ever rushed. A mid facelift is often combined with a lower eyelid blepharoplasty to better improve the heaviness and shadowing that can form around the lower eyelids and upper cheek.